Monday 9 October 2017

VeganMoFo 2017 #9: Everyday We're Waffling



9th: Go go gadget – A kitchen gadget you couldn’t live without, be it a simple grater or a blender. Alternatively, use a gadget you very rarely use.

I have decided to focus on a rarely used gadget. I love kitchen appliances. They are like Pokemon to me, I want to have them all! While some of them (like my blender, food process, rice cooker, and sandwich press) get regular workouts, there are some that are rarely touched. So I decided to have some fun! And what is more fun than waffles?

I actually have two waffle makers. The first one I bought many years ago was a Breville Waffles Creation maker. It was the only sort of waffle maker I could find at the time (except for Waddles, the penguin-shaped waffle maker). It made thin waffles that were like a flower made up of hearts.

Waffles


Sure, they were OK. But they were thin, very hard to get crispy, and the shape was a little bit limiting.

Last year, when shopping for a new food processor, I happened across a beautiful Kambrook Belgian Dual Waffle Maker. It was on sale. It was love. The waffles I'd been dreaming of could be mine!

Oreo Wafflewiches from Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day by Celine Steen and Tamasin Noyes. The natural way to celebrate a new waffle maker is by making a ridiculous sweet waffle sandwich. The recipe says you should get 1 1/2 Belgian waffles or 2-3 standard waffles, but I got 6 of my big waffles from my waffle maker, so I am not sure how GIANT their waffle maker is? Those 6 waffles ended up making 3 giant wafflewiches. For maximum cookie crunch, I also gave the waffles a quick toast before spreading on the frosting. The frosting was very sweet, but tasted just like an oroa filling! You could easily cut these in half for a smaller wafflewich, they are pretty rich.
Rating: :)

Oreo Wafflewiches


Chocolate Teff Waffles from Naturally Lean by Allyson Kramer: Unfortunately, my next adventures in waffle making didn't turn out so well, but through not fault of my precious waffle maker. There is an error in the recipe, which calls for far too much liquid to be added. Unfortunately I didn't realise this until too late because I wasn't paying enough attention. I think the water should be halved. I am glad that I had scaled the recipe down, so that I didn't have too much of this watery mix to deal with (which ended up in watery tasting end product). The recipe says it makes 6 waffles with 1/4 cup scoops of batter, but the whole recipe would make way more than this, so clearly a mistake. You can see how sad the waffles look, after they mostly cooked int he waffle maker. I ended up trying to make pancakes out of the rest, but it wouldn't even really hold together for that. So, ever the optimist, I made scrambled pancakes with the rest of the mix, plopped it on top of the waffles I was able to make (so hard to get out of the maker because they never really set), topped them with peanut butter, two different types of ice cream, maple syrup, and blueberries, and called it a triumph. But without such heroic actions, these were a huge miss as written. I'll try again one day with less liquid.
Ratin: :(

Chocolate Teff Waffles


Buckwheat Griddle-Pan Waffles from The New Vegan by Aine Carlin: Perfect breakfast waffles! This recipe was designed for those without a waffle maker, but I have one so I used that instead of a griddle pan. I halved the recipe, which made two cute little waffles. The batter is quite thick, so didn't spread out over my entire waffle pan in the quantities that I used, but that was fine because I got these nice little rustic circles! They are dense and not too sweet and are a great way to start the day. I served with maple syrup and blueberries.
Rating: :)

Buckwheat Griddle-Pad Waffles


I had wanted to make one more waffle creation for this post, but I ran out of time. But I am definitely looking forward to making more waffles!

Cute Kitty Photo of the Month - Month of Sahara

Sahara Cinnamon Scroll


Sahara was never a waffle, but she was frequently a perfect cinnamon scroll.

11 comments:

  1. I never knew a wafflewich existed, and now it seems imperative that I get one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should. It completes life. ;)

      Delete
  2. Cutest cinnamon roll ever.

    I need to check out that Oreo wafflewich sometime. That looks like an amazing treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was decadent, to be sure.
      She was the best cinnamon anything. <3

      Delete
  3. That photo of Sahara could be the logo for the Cinnamon Snail truck! XD

    Bummer about the chocolate teff waffles! I was so excited to see how they turned out (terrible apparently)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So terrible. But I would like to try them again one day with less liquid. It will be a while before I do that though, as they hurt me quite deep this time around. It takes time to forgive and try again.

      Delete
  4. The Oreo wafflewiches sound like a really fun treat! Cute Sahara!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had my eye on that Oreo waffle recipe for YEARS! And your griddle pan ones are so cute, I hadn't imagined that I could pull this off with my rectangular waffle iron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so pleased with how cute the griddle pan ones turned out in my waffle maker!
      Definitely make the wafflewich, it is worth it.

      Delete
  6. My mouth is watering! Just don't have the kitchen space for a waffle iron though.

    ReplyDelete