Tuesday 3 October 2017

VeganMoFo 2017 #3: Recipe Round-Up: The Great Vegan Protein Book



3rd: But where do you get your protein? – Make a protein packed meal.

I'll be doing quite a few recipe round-ups during MoFo where the book fits the prompt, however I will be making them mini for this month. Instead of the usual 6-10 recipes I round up in a post, I'll just be doing four for each book. We all have a lot of reading to do this month!

If you are looking for a good source of protein-filled recipes, you can't go past The Great Vegan Protein Book by Celine Steen and Tamasin Noyes. They have you covered! The book is divided into sections based on the protein source - legumes, nuts and seeds, tofu and tempeh, and seitan. It also doesn't require any protein powders. You can see what else I have made from this book here.

Mujadarra: This is one of my favourite comfort foods. At once savoury, yet bland in the best way, soft and hot. I just love the mix of lentils, rice and caramelised onions. This recipe calls for cooking lentils and brown jasmine rice in the rice cooker. I can't find brown jasmine rice here, so I just used regular, and I also soaked my lentils for about 8 hours prior to cooking. I wasn't convinced they would cook at the same rate as the rice in the cooker. Everything turned out perfect doing it like this. I also didn't have quite enough lentils (only by a tablespoon or so), so mine was ever so slightly skewed towards the rice. The onions are a mix of leek and white onions. My leek was very large, and I couldn't find any white onions, so I ended up using more leek than required and only half the amount of yellow onion. I also left out the cayenne.
Rating: :)

Mujaddara


Sesame Berry Squares: Sweets can be protein-filled as well! I made these for a family dinner last year when my brother was here. Strawberry jam is mixed with chia to form the middle layer. The crust and crumble has hemp and tahini in it. They were a lovely, not too sweet end to a meal. The recipe says it makes 16 squares in an 8x8 inch tray. I cut them into eight bars instead, and we had two each, so between the four of us there were no leftovers and we could have had some more.
Rating: :)

Sesame Berry Squares


High Brown Hash: This recipe is in the tofu section, but I think they meant it for the seitan section. There is no tofu in it, but there is some sausage. The recipe calls for using some of their Smoky Sausage (another recipe), but I had a Tofurky kielbasa kicking around and it filled the brief. It also has potato, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, shallots (I used some scallions as well) and mushrooms. I ended up adding 1/2 cup stock during the potato stage, and another 1/2 cup during the cauliflower stage, to make sure that everything cooked through and didn't stick. I also used double the cauliflower, because I love cauliflower, and instead of chives and thyme for the fresh herbs I used chives and dill. It was a great dinner (especially with some ketchup, which all hash loves), and my mum was a particular fan.
Rating: :)

High Brown Hash


Green Beans with Peanut-Tofu Sauce: This recipe is meant to be made with shisto peppers, but I don't do peppers or spicy, so I replaced them with seared green beans served with some jasmine rice and baby spinach. The sauce is based on silken tofu with peanut butter. It has 2 tablespoons of tamari in it, and I found it to be quite salty so I might use less if I made it again. I warmed the sauce slightly to serve, so it wouldn't be cold. Left over sauce is also good as a dip or sandwich spread.
Rating: :)

Green Beans with Peanut-Tofu Sauce


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post - Month of Sahara

Sahara the Contortionist Kitty


A young Sahara in her basket. That looks comfortable, right? She had that basket since she was a kitten, and it was delivered to my house with her when she came to live with me. She loved it so much!

8 comments:

  1. I'm craving simple foods like that green bean, rice and tahini sauce dish right now. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely craving a simple, yummy dinner when I made that. It was so good.

      Delete
  2. The high brown hash looks pretty good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these look so good, but loving the idea of peanut green beans and rice the most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be the recipe that has caught the most attention. Peanut sauce makes everything perfect.

      Delete
  4. The tahini berry bars look so yummy! I wonder what the protein count was? It is funny because people think I am crazy when I say there's protein in everything, until I point out that "carbs" have protein in it like bread. Not saying it is the best source though.... or maybe desserts ARE the best (at least yummiest)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure they have the protein count for everything in the book, I just don't have it with me right now. But you're right, there is protein everywhere! So many people think you have to eat the giant slab of protein or you will die.

      Delete