Monday 19 January 2015

Recipe Round-Up: The Complete Vegan Cookbook

The Complete Vegan Cookbook was one of my earliest vegan cookbooks. I don't use it quite as much anymore, but I still dip in and out of it from time to time.

Zucchini Stuffed with Mushroom Quinoa in Tomato Coulis and Baked Tofu: Zucchini is stuffed with sherry-laced shiitake mushrooms, garlic, onions, button mushrooms and herbs. I left out the capsicum. The coulis was really nice and refreshing, but I really wanted to have more of it to cover the zucchini with! The baked tofu recipe in this book was one of the first baked tofu recipes I ever made, and remains one of my favourites to this day!
Rating: Zucchini :), Coulis :), Tofu :D

Zucchini Stuffed with Mushroom Quinoa in Tomato Coulis; Baked Tofu


Potato and Cucumber Salad with Chive Dressing: This is meant to have Red Pepper in the title as well, but we all know how I feel about that. This is a soy mayo based dressing, which is darn tasty. This is great for summer!
Rating: :)

Potato and Cucumber Salad with Chive Dressing


Macaroni Salad with Cucumbers and Dill Dressing: Another creamy salad, this is yummy and hits the spot. Though it says it makes 12 side dish servings, I got two lunch-sized servings out of it, so they must be super stingy with their side dish servings!
Rating: :)

Macaroni Salad with Cucumbers and Dill Dressing


Wasabi Mashed Potatoes: These are a great, comforting side dish, especially with strong asian flavours. The recipe calls for 3/4 teaspoon of wasabi powder, which doesn't really give it much flavour, so you may want to add a bit more.
Rating: :)

Wasabi Mashed Potatoes


Roasted Pumpkin and Brussels with Garlic and Herbs: This is great for autumn, but really is great anytime. I only roasted for about an hour, not longer, or the vegetables started to dry out.
Rating: :)

Roasted Pumpkin and Brussels with Garlic and Herbs


Cannellini Beans with Tomatoes and Fennel Seeds of Soft Polenta: So this is meant to have red capscium, not tomatoes, but no times infinity. The tomatoes worked great. The soft polenta is lovely, I love polenta! Served over roasted zucchini.
Rating: :)

Cannellini Beans with 'Peppers' and Fennel Seeds over Soft Polenta


Tofu and Vegetables with Ginger and Coconut Milk: This isn't exactly packed with flavour, but it has that comforting kind of not really blandness to it. Green beans, yellow squash and tofu are cooked in a coconut milk sauce and served over brown rice.
Rating: :)

Tofu and Vegetables with Ginger and Coconut Milk


Spicy Chinese Eggplant with Tempeh and Baby Corn: This comes together super fast.I upscaled all the ingredients - doubled the eggplant, tempeh and baby corn - so that I didn't have leftover bits of open packets and tins left over.
Rating: :)

Spicy Chinese Eggplant with Tempeh and Baby Corn


Hummus Sandwich with Cucumber and Tomato Relish: I really enjoy this sandwich, it is so fresh and tasty. The relish is particularly refreshing. It said it makes 8 sandwiches, but I made a half batch which was enough for six sandwiches, though you may want to make extra relish as you will end up with more hummus. Leftovers would be great layered and served with veggie dippers.
Rating: :)

Hummus Sandwich with Cucumber and Tomato Relish


Tofu and Potato Hash: This is a fine scramble, though a little basic compared to some of the other recipes out there. But it has potatoes in it, so that is a total bonus!
Rating: :)

Tofu and Potato Hash


Chasing Away The Chill: Split Pea Soup with Sweet Potato and Mexican Seasonings, Mushroom and Soy Cheese Salad, leafy salad with vinaigrette: This is one of the spring menus. The first time I made this soup I didn't know about the differences between US and Australian chili powders (Australian is like a million times hotter) and I pretty much killed myself and couldn't eat it! I made it again with an appropriately adjusted amount and it was much better. This is served with some amazing quesadillas that I just LOVE! The book also has guidelines for mixing up pretty much any vinaigrette you could wish.
Rating: Soup :), Quesadillas :D

Spring - Chasing Away The Chill Menu


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Sahara


This morning Sahara was lying on the floor, and even though it was a hot day, my toes felt cold. So I just tucked my feet in either side of her, and she gave me this curious look. But she purred so it was all good.

2 comments: