Friday 9 October 2009

VeganMoFo #6: Recipe Round-Up - Vegan Planet

Who else is experiencing a bit of VeganMoFo landslide effect? My unread items in Google Reader are in the hundreds, and I haven't even added all the blogs yet! But I will persist, even if I am reading them into the new year. ;) I am also trying to comment on as many blogs as I can!

Tonight I am going for an old and easy favourite - a selection of dinners from Vegan Planet. I still have so many photos awaiting upload from this book! Lets see what tasty noms lay in store...


Adzuki Beans and Winter Squash Saute is incredibly simple to make, with just a few ingredients and seasoning, but is incredibly tasty! I served it with some brown rice and sauteed broccolini.


On its own Vermicelli, Chickpeas and Vegetables with Creamy Curry Sauce is a little bit on the bland side, until you serve it with some Three Fruit Chutney! What a great combination. The first time I made this I used 200g of fried rice noodles and it made 4 stupidly large servings, the second time I used 100g and it was a bit too saucy. So probably 150g of dried rice noodles or there abouts is the right amount.


This delicious combination - Old-Fashioned Baked Beans, Skillet Cornbread with Smoky Chiles, Red Flannel Cole Slaw and some greens for good measure. The beans were amazing - a great spicy and rich sauce. My mum loves all things baked beans and declared this her favourite recipe so far! The cornbread was smoky and spicy and delicious as well. Great toasted the next day with some vegan margarine. I had just received on order of Mexican foods in the post so this was the first time I was using canned chiptoles in adobo - yum! The salad was quite nice - interesting and with a cooling sweetness. I was feeling lazy so after cooking the beets I just shredded them through the food processor with the rest of the vegetables rather than cutting them into matchsticks by hands and it was all awesome.


Belgian-Style Seitan Stew with Dark Beer provided a lesson for me in which vegan beer I could buy. I ended up getting Toohey's Old (the recipe called for dark beer). I found this a bit sweet, next time I would decrease the sugar and/or increase the amount of beer.


This was a great combination! Marjoram-Scented Artichoke and Chickpea Stew served with Focaccia with Black Olives and Rosemary. The stew is fantastic! It uses the Super-Rich Vegetable Stock as a base and it is well worth making this rather than using powdered stock - it has a great flavour! This was also the first time I had made focaccia. I used the Traditional Pizza Dough recipe, which worked great. Together (with a green salad, of course) it was amazing.

Cute Cat Photo of the Blog


This is Pepper. Pepper was the first cat I ever speyed, while I was on rotations during my final year of vet school! She was a kitten the clinic was rehoming. It was a bit scary, but I am happy to report that everything went well and a few days later she was off to her new home!

7 comments:

  1. Pepper is beautiful!

    And what a great round up of VP recipes, your posts always make me realise just how many recipes there are!

    Where did you get chiptoles in adobo sauce? I needed them for a VSK recipe the other night but instead I added a large dash of smoked paprika as I read that chipotle gives a smokey flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a lot of beans!
    Pepper looks really cute and misterious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That all looks amazing. Beans are my favourite and any bean recipe gets me excited. That seitan and beer stew looks gorgeous, I've not made a stew with beer before but I'm going to - it's made my mouth water.
    Oooh kitty..

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks so good but the foccacia looks awesome! I need to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your meals look great! I've made that seitan-beer stew once and found that it was fairly sweet as well, but I love the idea of using beer in cooking. Feels a bit naughty to me for some reason, even though I've been legally able to drink alcohol for nearly four years now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm I need to go and cook some of my favourites from this book!

    Awww Pepper is gorgeous!!

    And I got a lesson on Australian vegan beers while testing for Vegan Appetite (Coopers make a very nice Pale Ale and Extra Stout that are vegan and work well for cooking). I love cooking with beer, which is weird, because I don't drink at all.

    And I'm with you on the overflowing google reader. Mine was well over 400 at the start of the week (I'm slowly getting there, I'm down to 34 tonight but about to give it away, so I'm sure it will have tripled by the morning!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm having the same problem with all the MoFo posts! Just keep reading. . . ! :)

    Thanks for all the great dishes from Vegan Planet--I always find it so hard to pick, so now I've got some sure-fire winners!

    ReplyDelete