Thursday 12 March 2009

Quiche!

I'm at the clinic tonight and I am sleepy. So here is a random dinner from the rather large collection of photos I still have to share.

It was the second day of the first month of the two-thosand-and-ninth year or the modern world, and something was in the air. I had just finished a horrible New Years Day on call at the clinic (can you say three euthanasias and a blood transfusion) and I needed to do something to cheer myself up. 'Self' I said, 'It is time to make some quiche!' Because what else does one do when one is in need of a joyous distraction?

Dinner came courtesy of that might volume, Veganomicon. It was quite exciting because I made my own pastry, which is something I don't do too often. Why, I am not sure. Because it is FUN! I had held off making the pastry from Veganomicon because it required shortening, and we can't really get the same sort of shortening here in Australia. So I decided to say BOO to that and I just used trusty Nuttelex instead. And it worked so wonderfully! YUM! I am looking forward to making a lot more pastry, especially as we start heading into the cooler months of the year.

While I call him Quiche at home, in public he prefers to go by Asparagus Quiche With Tomatoes and Tarragon. I was intrigued because instead of the usual tofu base it uses white beans, walnuts and asparagus all smooshed up to make the filling. It was a very satisfying dish to make!



And here is The Quiche, looking so smexy and yummy. The texture was softer than some of the other tofu-based quiches I had made, but it was yummy. I think that it may have said it made enough for 6-8 servings. To that I say HAH! We cut it up into four pieces, and even then it was only really filling enough as a light snack. Which meant that Mr Quiche needed a friend.



Meet Caesar Salad with Roasted Garlic Croutons, also from Veganomicon. OK, so I admit that the book suggested that these two things go together and you know how I am about menu suggestions. This salad is ROCKING. Yummy crunchy lettuce, homemade crunchy garlic croutons and...

(No Clarke! Don't destroy the Fortress you FOOL!)

(Sorry, watching Smallville Season 5)

... the dressing is to die for. Actually, Vegan Tickles blogged this a few days ago, which reminded me of this fabulous combination. Anyway, even if you don't like salad - go and make the dressing and eat it with a spoon. It is seriously that good.



And here they are together. Don't they make a sweet pair?

(Oooohh, James Masters has super glowy eyes of DOOOOOOM).

3 comments:

  1. i am seeing so much of this salad!!! must...make...veganomicon...cesar...salad!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why I haven't made that quiche yet!!! I'm always thinking I miss quiche but don't want the eggs (and can't have the tofu). It looks great!

    (I wish I could eat that dressing with a spoon! Darn tofu ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for the mention. I also LOVE the asparagus quiche. I remember the first time I made, I accidently dropped it while I was taking out of the oven. Luckily it fell in the oven, so I was able to salvage almost all of it. Mmm....maybe I just make it again next week???

    ReplyDelete