Tuesday 9 December 2008

An afternoon of baking.

I've been in a bit of a baking funk of late. But today I got back into the kitchen and cranked up the trusty double oven. The music was Kylie Minogue, her latest two albums - X and Body Language. Loud and repeated. I am going to the Kylie concert in Sydney on Sunday night, so I am training myself back up in all the Kylie ways. But on to the baking!



Hello Blondie! Macadamia Blondies With Caramel Maple Topping from Vegan With A Vengeance, to be precise. Given that this recipe used three and a half bags of macadamia nuts, and macadamias are somewhat on the pricey side of things, I have been slowly amassing a super secret macadamia stash over the past couple of months. When you spread out the cost it is not that scary. And given that I have had them all for the last couple of weeks now, it is practically like using them for free. If you follow my logic there.

The caramel maple topping didn't quite go thick and caramely as the book suggested it should Instead it sort of soaked into the blondie base and left a nice sweet glaze over the nuts on top.

It was really, really yummy. They are gooey and rich and sweet and awesome.



And here are some Banana Wheat Germ Muffins from Veganomicon. I had wanted to make these a few days go, however there seemed to be a wheat germ shortage in south east Queensland that foiled my plans. Until today! Which is good, because my bananas were so black and soft that they didn't have much time left.

They are sweet and tasty and make me feel very healthy.

So nice to be back into the baking. I am sure the kids at work will be grateful when I take them to work tomorrow to share!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, I love macadamias but they are a bit exxy! I'm like you, I buy some every now and then so I don't feel so bad.

    And enjoy the concert on Sunday night and your stay in Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blondies look great. Yeah macadamias are pricey, I think that's why I've avoided making them!

    I love Kylie!! Have a great time at the concert - I saw her live a couple of years ago and she was freaking fantastic!

    ReplyDelete